Monday 14 February 2011

BLOGFAIL

As it so happens, this whole "updating my blog everyday" thing has proven a bit too challenging for me. The past three weeks have kept me more than busy with classes during the day, going out to the countless bars, pubs and clubs of Manchester at night, and spending the weekends gallivanting about the UK countryside. But no more. I intend to put this blog to good use starting now.

Although I feel it's a bit too late to recount the day-by-day events of the last three weeks, I do want to create a vivid image of what my life here in Manchester is like so far for all you folks reading this. The best way I can think of doing this is just by summing up a few key points and pieces of information that I have learned or experienced in the last few weeks that will most likely have an effect on the coming months.

Firstly, for those of you familiar with London, there is a BIG difference between the north and the south of England. It is often known as "the North-South divide." The accents, way of life, general friendliness you encounter on the street, and most notably the PRICES are very different up here in Manchester than they are in London. The accents are very heavy, almost Scottish-sounding, and littered with endearing slang such as "luhv" (not to be mistaken with "love"... they sound quite different). Furthermore, "Cheers" is much more commonly heard than "thanks" or "you're welcome" (although these are obviously used as well). Life up here is a lot less hustle and bustle than it is in London. While over 8 million people call the greater London area home, only about 400,000 do the same for Manchester, and about 20% of them are students. Considering that the area in which I live, a student community called Fallowfield, lies on the same road and bus route as the university and the town's city centre, it seems I almost only see students everywhere I go. This keeps the town pretty relaxed but still very hip and VERY fun.

This brings me to one of my favorite things about Manchester: the nightlife. As someone not yet of legal drinking age in the States, I am simply LOVING how accessible the nightlife is in this town. There are a good number of bars within walking distance from my residence hall in the Fallowfield area, as well as nicer bars and some truly great clubs as you head into the city centre. So far, I have only been to the same bar twice ONCE, but I have gone out about 3 out of every 4 nights (if not more). Since there are so many options to choose from, every night of the week usually has 2 or 3 really big events going on among all the bars and clubs. For instance, Monday is THE night for the Deansgate (very posh area near city centre) location of a chain of bars called Revolution. The night is known as Pout and is QUITE the event. Tonight will be absolutely huge seeing as it is Valentine's Day, and I am very very excited.

Another great thing about the nightlife here: the English boys LOVE American girls. And boy, am I loving it. As soon as they hear an American accent they absolutely freak out. As soon as they find out I'm from LA, well... they ask me to say "oh my God, like totally!" Which I do... for a small price. They have to say something from Harry Potter in exchange. So far I have gotten them to say "wingardium leviosa" and "Professor Dumbledore." Extortion? Maybe. Pricelessly entertaining? Obviously. This brings me to how easy it is to talk to people in this town. A lot of the guys that find our accents amusing genuinely just want to talk to us. What a refreshing change of pace from the LA bar and club scene. It is SO easy to strike up a conversation with anyone here, be it on the bus, in the laundry room, or at a bar. From my limited time in London, it seems people mostly go about their own business when taking the tube to work or walking around the busy city. In the north, however, it's often hard to avoid conversation with any number of passersby.

Well, I do feel I've rambled on a bit here, but hopefully that will keep everyone at home feeling moderately satisfied with an update from across the pond! I really do intend to start updating more regularly now that I'm settled in and beginning to have weekend adventures. Still to come- posts on my trips Edinburgh, Liverpool, and Stratford-upon-Avon. I'm heading to London this Friday so I promise I'll update before then!

Oh and one last thing... Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment